Friday, March 22, 2013

CHINUA of AFRICA



I remember when I first heard of the book
Sad to say I never got to read it until late last year

"Hard to believe"; I can hear you echo from afar
Particularly for a "reader-fellow" like me
I read every other book on every shelf but this

"Things Fall Apart"
One of many other titles

The name always rang a million bells
One of Nigeria's finest...blazing 'em trails

Every candle burns with a flame
Every flame gets tossed of the wind

This candle did burn with a flame
The kind that spits grammar like Gamma

A linguist like no other
Novelist of covet like Rivera

Out of pitch-hue Africa rose an ICON
a LEGEND by every standard
a BEACON in every regard

Your soul rises to the great beyond
The universe sings you her sweetest verse

"CHINUA ACHEBE my beloved!
My sun, my son; thou didst do me proud";
Mother Africa mourns her favored son

You rocked Grammar Land
You brought honor to our land

Adieu Papa
Your works forever remain with us



©iampapyrus
#ff: @i_amPapyrus

No comments:

Post a Comment